The 4 Keys to Success as an International Career Couple
It’s well-documented that international assignments for dual-career couples can be both exhilarating and complicated at the same time.
Many organizations with international talents have not fully understood the complexities of dual international career couples in their workforce. This is what usually happens:
- One career takes precedence over the other
- Two partners equally sub-optimize their careers
- They individually pursue two careers at the expense of the family.
Often, as dual international career couples, we tend to focus on the challenges and issues that arise in creating meaningful and fulfilling lives and careers. This episode offers valuable solutions and explores the keys to success for dual-career couples living abroad.
Guests Jannie Aasted Skov-Hansen and Dr. Paul Vanderbroeck, are the co-authors of the groundbreaking book, “The International Career Couples Handbook”, which explores real-life challenges of dual career couples and provides a new way to approach international mobility. It provides a good structure for the deep reflections and discussions you need to have as an international Career couple. Based on their lived experiences and extensive research this book offers great insights for both ICCs and organizations.
Both are partners in an ICC ( International career couple) and parents. Jannie is also the Founder of Here We Are Global, a startup consultancy dedicated to supporting ICCs in their global careers. Paul is an Executive Coach and accomplished researcher in gender balance and leadership development.
As I’ve mentioned in the podcast previously, my husband and I hold the same degree, and I have over 15 years of experience working with international organizations. This handbook and Jannie’s and Paul’s knowledge provide powerful tools to navigate dual international careers with more ease. I highly recommend reading this handbook and some of the powerful exercises they share.
Here are the top highlights you’ll learn in this episode:
- The difference between an international career couple and a dual-career couple
- Gaps that International Organizations overlook when it comes to international career couples (ICC’s)
- Four unique challenges that ICC’s face,
- How to overcome them, and create lasting success
Juggling the packing, decisions, and career moves can make one feel uneasy. Give yourself the gift of clarity, connection, and ease this season by signing up for the Girafe Coaching Newsletter. Here you’ll find actionable tools to help you smooth the transition.
- Read Here We Are: The International Career Couple Handbook (not an affiliate link)
- Find additional support on their website Here We Are Global, on Instagram, or on Facebook
- Connect with Jannie on Linkedin here